Monday, August 6, 2012

Interview and Review with Carol Cadoo


Blurb


It just couldn’t be, no way, things like this don’t happen in real life… yet there he stood. Stunning, arrogant, ok ay Jazz Kelly had to admit it sexy as hell. Have you ever had that feeling you’ve experienced something before a smile, a sigh, a touch a look... Oh my god the look, when Jazz Kelly saw "the look" she almost collapsed. That's when Jazz knew, this was Déjà Vu of Love.
Jazz tried to pull herself together in the middle of the hotel lobby, last time she had contact with Mr. Gianni Payne he tried to destroy her life and damm near succeeded.  He didn’t but only because Jazz was stronger than he or anyone else thought.
She had survived… no beyond that she had thrived.  A successful production company, endorsements with major linen and home wares companies.  She had lunch with Mick Jagger dammit.  Jazz was not going to get sucked into that pretend relationship again.  Oh hell no she would not go.  Gianni Payne could go to hell and take his girl Friday Alicia with him.
Jazz was an important successful business woman and she would not be tricked by the passion that was already rising in her.  How could she be so attracted to a person who with the exception of one gift had added nothing but pain.  Oh well at the end of the day Jazz had to admit the price of the ticket was worth the ride.  Now only one question remained was she going to get on the ride or walk. 
Across the Lobby Gianni Payne was reeling from the shock of seeing Jazz Kelly again.  He thought he was over her years ago.  His almost middle aged ego did not need another go round with that vixen.  Even as he thought the word he could not help but smile.  Jazz Kelly was his kind of woman that was for sure. The biggest problem was she had made it very clear to Gianni he was not her kind of man.  Besides Alicia would kill him if he got that nightmare going again.  It had taken him months if not years to bounce back from that hurt.  Nope, he boarded the elevator I can’t go there again.
Alicia, Gianni Payne’s assistant had watched everything from the café just of the lobby o the four star hotel.  Enjoying her tea she had practically spit the delicious concoction when she spotted the stunning auburn haired beauty strolling through the lobby.  At first Alicia was in complete denial, no way, no fucking way.  I thought I took care of that bitch 8 years ago.  Oh this is not good if Gianni sees her it is all over.  Alicia would never be able to keep them apart again; this was not good Alicia needed to think. 
Jazz Kelly watched Gianni Payne board the elevator, oh clearly he had seen Jazz he chose to ignore her.  Fine two could play the ignore game; she was not here to see Gianni Payne anyway.  Jazz was in Zurich to work, she had Chalet to design and a party to go to.  She was Jazz Kelly of Trading Casa’s a hit television show now.  Not a little Client Service Manager.  She was no longer a girl she was a woman. 

Interview 

Hi Carol glad you could join us for an interview what motivated you to do this interview?
 Hi to you as well glad you invited me, I love having the opportunity to reach out to readers who have enjoyed or are just discovering their passion for reading my passion writing.  I love writing great Chick Lit stories, with strong women and interesting pathos that offer a ton of options for character development.  The characters have a story they want to tell.  I try not to dictate their decisions.  I like characters who are just a bit flawed and everyone’s ideal best friend warts and all. 

What is your personal motto?
You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  My dad taught me that and truer words were never spoken.  So get rid of it and start a fresh batch but don’t waste an entire day trying to turn it into soup.
How do you feed your muse?
I garden and play the, what if game, which is how all my stories start something will grab my attention in life for instance the book I am starting.  The story concept came from a brief video clip I saw, so then I go hmmm what if… and then it starts.  Once that process starts there is no stopping no rest for the brain it just pounds me until I ferret it all out.  Then I can relax and start the writing process which at that point is like hitting the print button on a computer. 
How do you develop your characters?
I write dialog and monologues for them in a journal sort of like the confession cams on realty television.  I let the characters talk about how they really feel about something either alone or in conversation with one or more of the other characters.
What has been the most significant book you've read in your life?
Well you know I am a fiction writer and reader so I do not read substance nor do I write it.  I write fun, interesting books with great characters and interesting dynamics between the characters.  I think that if you say significant in terms of impact on me it is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  That was the first time I feel in love with writing, I enjoyed the story too, but the writing rocked me.  I think I was about 8th grade.
Today we are talking about lots of different things but first things first is Deja Vue of Love available.
No Deja Vue of Love will be available August 1st on Amazon Kindle it is not yet available in hard back or paperback. I am very excited about the book and the characters, I care for them all deeply, after all this is the first book I ever wrote.  So to say I am attached to these guys is an understatement.   By the way if you don’t have a Kindle they have a personal computer program that translates the Kindle books on your home computer. The book will be on sale for 1.99 and there will be several free days to download the book so if they want to be notified go to my Facebook page and like Carol Cadoo’s Bookstore that way you will get notified the minute the book is available and the free dates will be listed.
How do you develop your characters and how do you decide who stays and who goes in a story?
Gosh that was a great question, um well first of all I write fiction so none of my characters are real, but I will say that I use life as a muse.  What I mean by that is I might see a character flaw in someone at the grocery store.  So I would use that flaw maybe not the same sex character as the muse in my head.  I may change the location and reinterpret the characters pathos related to that character flaw.  Of course to me naming the characters is a very personal process and I create the character and then name them.  If that makes any sense to you, hope I am not too wordy.  Wow, I know I am being too wordy but quickly just want to say as far as who goes and who stays that sort of happens organically.  I never push my attitude or opinion on the storyline development I allow it to present itself.
I noticed a lot of people are talking about your hero Gianni Payne in your book currently available Deja Vue of Love, he is really sexy.
Oh yeah he is my ideal sexy.  Gianni is a combination of every man who I have felt that heart pounding, wave in your ears kind of attraction.  He is indeed my dream man.  I hope he is a lot of women’s dream man.  We all have a need for that responsible bad boy in our lives.  The cool thing with Deja Vue of Love is you can enjoy the bad boy and not have to go through two years of break up recovery.
How did you get started writing?
Well actually when I wrote Deja Vue of Love I worked as a waitress at Skippers in Cayucos for Mr. Ted and Ms. Sylvia my dream bosses.  I took a work shop on writing as I always wanted to try my hand at a book.  My writing partner of 25 years Danny Waller and I wrote romantic comedies in screenplay form he did all the narrative and storyline, I did character development and dialogue.   I really wanted to write a book.  So I bought 12 yellow legal pads and a package of Bic pens and started writing Deja Vue of Love I think around 1995 before cell phones, computers, Facebook and the internet.  So I had to go in and update.
Do you have any other books?
I have a second book called Inheritance of Love and then the third book in the Nightstand Love Trio is on the boards but Journey to Love only drafted it is about half written.  I believe Journey of Love will be available right around the Valentine’s Day holiday and Inheritance of Love will be available for Christmas Holiday so keep your eyes posted for it. 



What was your day job?
Well as most artist I have been in a variety of professions.  I have worked as an actress, director, choreographer, wedding planner and waitress.  Not to mention a plethora of other short lived careers.  I spent the last ten years working as a wedding planner which was a huge research project for human nature. 
What advice do you have for people who would like to write a book?
Write it.
Yes but what can they do to get it started?
Start writing
No other pearls of wisdom on that subject?
There is no better advice than start writing.  Every great journey starts with the first step; every great story starts with the first keystroke.  Talking about it, thinking about it, researching it all of that is well and good but you have to write it.  If you don’t get that started nothing else matters.  There’s no book without writing.
Do you feel there is a difference between self-published and corporately published books?
Sure yes I totally think self- publishing is the way to go until you get to Diva Danielle Steel level.  It is an opportunity to get your craft out there.  It does not matter if you have fifty books written if no one reads them what good is the gift of writing.  So I love self- publishing in addition it allows you to stay on the front lines of your marketing and research area. Plus you are communicating and reaching out to your readers without all the red tape.
What is the greatest challenge you have faced in your writing career?
Balancing a personal relationship with the book writing process and a writer’s personality.  The book won.  (Carol is laughing)
Okay here is an easy one what do you watch on Television?
Oh man I love Monk love, l love, love, love it, I am an addict fan of Project Runway,  enjoy Top Chef, Next Food Network, Chopped, Cupcake Wars and the true crime shows.  I spend a lot of time listening  to TCM while I am writing I like to have old film Noir on it relaxes me. 
Do you watch movies?
I watch Film Noir movies some of my favs DOA, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder and Double Indemnity
Do you still live in Cayucos?
No not anymore I lived in Cayucos raising my oldest son Zach it was a wonderful decade of my life.  But it is bone chilling cold up on the Central Coast and after I broke my kneecap.  Great story bad reality, I couldn’t take the damp cold.  Now I live out in the desert and love it.  The sunsets are incredible and the mornings are little gifts from God. 
What is the first thing you remember writing?
In the sixth grade I wrote a book called Wilbur the Waterlogged Wagendorf and my teacher wrote Carol this is really good you might consider a future as a writer.  Her name was Mrs. Alan and she was the first one besides my mother who ever read my stuff.  I was on cloud nine for days, kept the paper in my nightstand drawer for years.
Who do you live with?
Well I have one son who is seventeen still at home his name is Garette and my oldest son Zachary is living in Tulsa on his own.  I also have my two baby dogs a Giant Schnauzer and her name is Hazel and my spoiled little boy who is part golden retriever and part lab his name is Harry and he is precious.  I have a great life my house is always full of what I call rotating visitors.  Musicians and other artist who swing through California for business stay on my acre and assist in repairs, landscaping etc. in lieu of rent.  It’s a great way to live Simi communally.
Do you have any interesting writing eccentricities?
 Well I am not sure how you define eccentricities but I do believe that the character just uses me to channel their story.  In other words when I am done with a writing session, when I reread it is like reading for the first time as I have no memory of the writing.  Let me clarify I don’t go into a fugue state but it is rather out of body kind of experience.
What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My very first love of books came from my best friends growing up.  Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden both girl detective series.  I had every one of those books and use to like to line them up numerically and just look at how many I had.  I still have my favorite six Nancy Drew books on my nightstand, I use them when I am in the middle of a book and can’t sleep.  As I don’t read other books when I am writing I love those books, some of them still have stains on the pages from long ago Oreo cookie and orange section binges. I had as a kid reading.  Still my favorite reading snack, but I would have to say my mom always encouraged me to write. From about the fourth grade she knew I had a gift and really fostered that gift with support of my efforts.  She was also my first proofer and editor.




Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Well I love to grow Sunflowers, lavender and roses.  I also have two children and two dogs I adore.  I am a homebody who lives in the middle of nowhere so my recreation time is spent decorating my dream home Casa de Flores Too and landscaping my acre of heaven.  I also am a television junky and a Project Runway devotee.

 How can readers connect with you online?

I would love readers to connect with me online.  After all I write so they will read me. I so want to know what they think, here are my vitals

Twitter carolcadoo@carolcadoo or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CarolCadoo

The only thing I ask is not to send me any story ideas, I don’t use outside story ideas and I am of the mindset that ideas like air go out in the universe and people breath them in.  That is why sometimes when you have never thought of something in your life and then you do.  Suddenly you start seeing and hearing about the idea all over the place.  So other than story line and character development I am open to any and all correspondence from people who like or have another opinion on my books.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I learned how important it is to get the right Posse surrounding you.  So many things require expertise that as a writer I am sorry to say I don’t possess.  Oh sure could I do it, if I had to yeah but then I would have complaints from consumers on the quality.  There are many examples of the need for a strong, fearless Posse to bring me out of the creative zone and into the business zone cause in this business you have to own balance or buy it.  If you have to buy it you need it to be compatible with your creative process, yet be able to work independently of that creativity to get the job done.

Have you ever hated what you have done and if so what did you do about it?

You know the hardest thing to admit is when something just really sucks on the reread.  Especially when you work and work and work the passage, line, scene or whatever it is.  I use to work it until my mind was numb, as I didn’t want to give up on it.  But I have since learned you have to let it go.  You can’t force it so now I am ruthless.  As far as what I do about it I cut it, immediately.

Have you ever experienced writers block?

Does not exist, that whole thing is bunk to me, writers block is just a nice way to say you have not done your homework.  You know a book is written when the time is right.  For instance I write the entire book in my head as I am weeding the garden, cooking dinner, cleaning house.  Then when my mind is ready I sit down and write the story my mind has already written.  I just do the physical labor of inputting, at the time of the original draft. It generally takes me about 10 days to write a book, that is the first draft.  As soon as the draft is over I have a group of trusted readers who take that bad boy apart page by page.  They send me a report of all the plot line issues, character issues, dialog issues and timeline stuff like that.  I usually read the notes and continue on with my life or draft another book.  Then after a time a reread the draft make the changes fix the holes my readers have found and then bingo we have a book. 

Do you have any strange writing habits and what do you eat when you write?

Man you guys are throwing out some great questions give me a second, you know I don’t think I have any quirky writing rituals.  I can’t write in a quiet space but that is because I started writing with kids.  So now I just turn on Law and Order reruns and get to writing.  As far as food come to think about it I do prefer cold Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pepsi and Jalapeno Almonds when I am writing.  I like coffee too, but I forget I have the water boiling because I get so into the write.  I use a French Press because I like fresh coffee each time so the water always boils out. 

So, what have you learned over the course of your writing career NOT to do?

Boy you got that right, man I have learned not to use the return or enter key on my manuscripts.  I am laughing as I think of my format guy and the first time he saw my manuscript.  I also learned that you can’t be afraid to break the whole book apart and restructure it.  That was an important moment in my writing.  I have learned to find out my flaws for instance for me the words just, and, but and had are crutch words for me.  Also I tend to over use by a lot my ly adjective words.  That and you really can’t give up if you believe in yourself do it. Who cares if it is a best seller write the book and they will read. 

Carol Cadoo was voted most likely to.........

Get this booked published. I never give up.  Somebody told me once my biggest problem is I don’t know how to quit.  I think they were telling the truth.  You never get anywhere quitting, you might have to change the route but just keep pushing forward. 

Now let’s talk about the love scenes?

Hold on I have one thing to say about that otherwise I let my readers imagination to do the work.  You don’t have to commit murder to write a mystery.

What would you change in your life or career to date?

You know you can’t unscramble an egg so …I don’t think I would change a thing cause if you alter the Universe by just a little everything goes south.  Everything comes in the time and space it is meant to be in.   I have had this incredible Forrest Gumpesque life and wow you start trying to control things and the Universe will kick your ass. Yeah I wouldn’t want to change a thing …nope not a thing.

Would you change the future if you could?

Holy Cow I don’t think so but then again I don’t know kind of spooky to think about.  Would that alter the past wow I don’t know maybe I will write a book? (Laughing)

Well Carol thanks so much for your time it was real fun,

Same to you Patty always good to visit.  Bye everybody check out Deja Vue of Love at Kindall Amazon Books thanks for stopping by Carols Bookstore


Review  4 stars 

 Let me start with just saying that the moment I read the first chapter I knew I would not put this book down till I was finished reading. Jazz the main character reminded me of myself so much, it was surreal.

I loved the story line and the characters were well described. I could relate to them well.

I was battling myself with whether to give a three or four star for this book.

There were quite a bit of grammar and punctuation issues. Formatting was off a bit also. The Author switched POV without warning and it through me off a bit.

But I went with the four star rating because this is definitely something I would recommend to anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment